Thursday, June 14, 2012

Book Pals - Fancy Nancy

I was an avid reader as a kid and being a teacher just gives me an excuse to buy books. For the last three years, I have been collecting books for my future classroom. Goodwill has been my best resource. My class library numbers close to 500 now. The Queen says I have to stop, but who can pass up a copy of The Watsons Go to Birmingham -1963 when it is lying there begging to be read and loved. Besides looking for books, I have been on the lookout for plush book characters for my favorite books. You can buy them, but my bank account cannot handle the prices. My current favorite picture book is Fancy Nancy.


I think that Fancy Nancy is what I was as a child. I loved nothing better than dressing up in as many ruffles and bows as I could pile on. As a teacher, I love Fancy Nancy for her wonderful way of choosing extraordinary words to say ordinary things. So of course the first character I wanted was Nancy.

Amazon Version $33.00

Queen Pea was sure we could create Fancy Nancy ourselves. She bought these dolls at Goodwill for 25 cents each.

We took the legs off one doll and attached them to another. We took purple tulle and hot glued on a dress. Then we accessorized. Beads, ribbon, jewels and a boa (a ribbon that we gathered). The glasses are made from craft foam and colored cellophane. Everything we used was from our craft junk drawer. I love the final product.






Total cost...50 cents! Stayed tuned for our next book pal project...Pete the Cat.

Princess Kay

P.S. News on the job front. I will be teaching third grade next year. Woohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment