Friday, July 12, 2013

Friday Fun - Adventures in Decorating

So all you younger teachers out there are decorating mavens pinteresting (yes it is now a verb), laminating, cutting and hot gluing your way to virtual wonderlands of learning fun.  Now I pride myself on my creativity so I decided last year to do an actual theme in my classroom.  It is trickier with me as I have students in my room from age three to 12.  I decided to go with a Dr. Seuss theme because not only is the man a complete genius, everybody loves Dr. Seuss...right?

So I created cute bulletin boards, basket labels, center areas and labels all with a Dr. Seuss touch.  The first warning should have come when a third grade diva looked around one day and said. "What's with all the Dr. Seuss stuff."  They never told me in college that I would need to be prepared to defend my decorating choices to a bunch of third graders.

The next shot came from our quarterly student feedback.  Our district requires us to get student input quarterly as to how much they are learning and how fun it is.  As a part of my second quarter feedback, I used an Imagineering sheet for what would be the perfect speech program.  Their responses were put on post its and then I grouped them together.


And there it was.  Some of the kiddos wanted to help choose how the classroom looked.  With all the emphasis on student led, student engagement, student motivation that has been preached at every meeting and seminar I have attended in the last five years, no one ever suggested letting them help decorate your room.  Lady A and I said it would be like turning the decorating of your living room over to your husband!  However, one of the promises we made to our kids was that we would do our best to at least discuss each item on the Imagineering sheet.

So we decided to start small and let them decide how to decorate our hall bulletin board.  (I know what you are thinking...we cheated.  Every teacher would love to have someone decorate their bulletin board...but give us a break, giving up control is hard!) 

Check out some of their ideas.  Talk about a wide variety of ideas. I think my fifth graders tried to see how far I would go in letting them pick the theme.
I love how the claws and zombies were written right next to the puppies and Care Bears.  Obviously a Zombie Care Bear bulletin board was not going to reflect well on my teacher evaluation.  I tried to to group their ideas and let them vote.



We ended up doing an Angry Birds Cause and Effect board.  I created all different Angry bird body shapes, beaks, eyes etc and let them create their own Angry Bird.  They had to fill out a tag that gave the bird a name and say what made the bird angry.  Our favorite was "He is angry because he had to take ISTEP" (our statewide test.)  Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the board!

I am changing my room theme to Wild About Words next year.  We will probably do the bulletin board exercise again....and maybe, just maybe, they can weigh in on room decorations...in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment