Monday, June 24, 2013

Monday's Musings - When a Mess is Downright Fun

Today's musings are going to veer a bit from education.  After all a teacher has other interests in her life.  We don't live at school as some of our younger students believe.  As the Princess told you, I have been on vacation.  We were up visiting friends at a camp in McGregor, Minnesota.  No wifi for the week....it was a bit of withdrawal for me.  McGregor is a tiny town (pop. 391...now 392 as our friends just had a new babe!)  There really isn't much there, but my friend Beth knowing that the Princess and I are thriftin' vintage bargain lovin' nuts told me I had to go visit Molly's Mess.

I feel the need to explain.  I love vintage, retro, old things.  However, I am not a collector.  I am way way too cheap.  I love a good bargain and I love when you stumble upon a find.  I will wander through an antique store and look, but I am not going to pay those prices.  I would rather treasure hunt in a thrift store or half price day at an estate sale.  Imagine my delight as  I walked up to Molly's Mess and this is what I saw.



There was stuff all over the yard.  Dented stuff, rusted stuff, old stuff, good stuff...you name it, it was there.  The prices were more thrift store than antique store.  The place was not designed for the discerning buyer.  It was better suited for the picker.  In fact Molly told us that the TV show "American Pickers" wanted to come visit, but she turned them down.  "The place is a mess and I am too fat."  she told us.

  American Pickers loss was my gain!  I had a ball.  I wish I had taken more pictures of the inside.  It was three floors jam packed with stuff. 
Princess collects old cameras.  Even at antique stores, she finds just one or two.  Molly had a whole wall.  I had to send Princess a "I bet you wish you were here" picture.

The record room had three walls lined just like this.  My husband and the Princess do not listen to CDs, they listen to vinyl.  He stayed in here while I wandered the other rooms. There were rooms with toys, rooms with kitchen utensils, rooms with glassware.  Each spot did not have one or two items, but 10-20.

Sorry for the poor quality of pictures.  I was snapping with my phone.  I never expected to come across such a treasure in the middle of nowhere!  I have been lusting after jadite pieces for years, but I can't afford them.  Molly had a slightly cracked batter pitcher that I scored for $10 and a perfectly fine creamer that I got for $3.50.  I also bought a minnow bucket, enamelware and this weird old metal display rack.  Nothing I got was in pristine condition, but someday I will explain the philosophy of "wabi-sabi" to you.

As a teacher, often our other passions get indulged during the summer months.  Molly's was a huge indulgence for me!  If you love vintage and a great bargain, you have to visit Molly's Mess in McGregor, Minnesota.  Take an empty car, a can of bug spray (northern Minnesota apparently breeds mosquitos) and a willingness to sort through stuff.  I guarantee you will not regret it!, 


No comments:

Post a Comment