Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Word Wednesday

    I added a center component to the speech room about five years ago because I was so tired of passive students sitting at my table.  Since then the challenge has been to find resources for them to use for self practice and practice with a buddy.  Many of my fellow SLPs have wonderful blogs and have created a wealth of great activities.  The one thing I have found missing is pictures.  I love all the great activities, but they are often just with text.  I don't know about you, but my caseload is heavy on the K-2 end.  Many of my kiddos are also struggling readers.  If they are going to do self practice, I have got to have pictures....so what does a techy SLP do?  Make her own, of course.
   For work on synonyms and antonyms, I created this Cherry Pie game ( Have you seen the cute Synonym rolls pins on Pinterest?  I guess I just had food on the brain!)


  Each of the cherry pairs has either a set of synonyms or antonyms.  My students sort them into the correct pie plate.  They get practice with antonyms and synonyms as well as knowing the difference between the two concepts.  It is great for my kids who do great with synonyms only to get confused when I switch to antonyms and heaven forbid I should do a mixed drill!
  I also had single cherries that the must use to match up a pair and decide if they are synonyms or antonyms before dropping them in the pan.

 You can download the set here.  I printed them on cardstock, laminated and then cut them out (okay, let's me real...I had m SLP-As cut them out....I am quite sure cutting out a hundred little cherries is in there job description.)  I purchased the pie pans from the dollar store.  I thought about printing blank cherries so my kiddos would also have to create their own....but let's be real, there is not an elementary school student alive who could write small enough to fit on those cherries!






No comments:

Post a Comment